We now have exciting opportunities for Senior Research Scientists to join our vibrant and growing group, with the successful candidates joining a cutting edge CRO with access to gloveboxes, high throughput experimentation, in-situ reaction monitoring tools and state of the art analytical equipment. The primary role responsibility is to perform scale-up of flow chemical reactions, process development, optimization, scale-up and manufacturing in support of J-Star’s Enabling Technologies projects. The incumbent should provide the expertise in the scaleup requirements of flow chemical processes and manufacturing process development.
- Experience within the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry or CDMO industry is required. Experience in both is desirable, but not required.
- PhD in Process Engineering or Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of industrial experience or a MS with a minimum of 12 years of industrial experience is required.
- Conduct chemical engineering R&D for clients as an individual contributor, which includes, but is not limited to, scale-up of chemical reactions in flow and batch mode, conduct experiments to investigate effects of mixing and heat and mass transfer, reaction modeling, statistics & DoE, enabling technologies. This will include R&D under c-GLP and potentially under c-GMP conditions.
- Facilitate the adoption and operation of new flow technology.
- Facilitate the application of flow chemistry from R&D to process scale up, flow-photochemistry and multiphasic reactions.
- Develop safe, timely and efficient chemical processes by using established, new and/or novel chemical technologies and processes.
- Coordinate chemical engineering methodology to process and/or catalysis discovery, development optimization and problem solving.
- Maintain an uncompromising focus on quality, documentation, confidentiality, and scientific execution.
- Participate in idea generation for selective quotes/proposals to clients as well as successfully execute against accepted quotes.
- Initiate cross-department communication and develop coordinated R&D, processing schedules and deliverables.
- Lead and contribute to scientific and technical discussions with co-workers and clients to plan, execute, resolve issues and problem solve.
- Communicate candidly, clearly and timely with clients, management and peers.
- Participate in weekly client updates as needed, prepare weekly reports, contribute to and lead campaign reports and participate in process chemistry technology transfer.
- Coordinate and author professional campaign reports, research summaries, and tech packages.
- Follow all company, site and laboratory Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS)-related protocols, processes, guidelines and SOPs. Actively participate in EHS discussions with peers and management for continuous improvement of EHS practices.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized hood, bench, glovebox and common work area that is free of clutter, excess chemicals/samples. Advocate for these principals and positively influence others in this regard.
- Proven track record applying fundamental principle of chemical engineering related to scale-up of flow and batch chemistry, specifically reaction kinetics, reactor design, chemical thermodynamics, heat and mass transport, engineering and statistics.
- Experienced using DynoChem, Reaction Lab, MixIt or other modeling software.
- Experienced with in-situ reaction monitoring like hydrogen uptake kinetics, ReactIR or Raman.
- Knowledge of statistics and Design of Experiment principles using tools like JMP or Design Expert.
- A good foundational understanding of synthetic organic chemistry.
- Proven track record meeting aggressive targets as related to safe, timely and successful synthetic organic chemistry projects.
- Knowledge and experience base of working in a c-GMP environment is preferable, but not required
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Experience in small molecule drug development is preferable, but not required.
- Track record of scientific success as measured by publications and presentations.
- Ability to prioritize and manage numerous activities simultaneously.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse population sets.
- Experience in working on and positively contributing to scientific teams.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position.
- Proficient in Microsoft®Office™ applications.
- Reports to a Vice President, Director or Associate Director of Process Chemistry
Primary Location: New Jersey, USA
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Full Time/Salaried